I love mussels, and this is an easy go-to recipe I created. This recipe is perfect to impress your honey for Valentine’s Day. In ancient Greece, mussels were a popular food known for their aphrodisiac properties. The amino acids in mussels and their lean protein content are essential for a healthy libido and can raise sexual hormone levels for a great night of passion! You can serve the mussels with a pasta of your choice. Enjoy!
- 4 pounds of mussels
- 1 large tomato
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- avocado or olive oil for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 lemon
- chili pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- dried thyme
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- bunch of fresh parsley
- garlic herb butter (see recipe below)
- french bread
- grated Parmesan cheese
- cooked pasta
1) Clean your mussels and set aside in cool water.
2) In a large pot, saute chopped onions, chopped tomato, and minced garlic in avocado or olive oil for approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
3) Add chicken broth, white wine, chili pepper flakes, bay leaf, thyme, sea salt, and cracked pepper into the pot. Squeeze juice from the lemon into the pot. Bring to a boil.
4) Add mussels into pot and cover. Steam mussels for approximately 10 minutes.
5) Top mussels with chopped fresh parsley, crumbled crispy bacon and/or Parmesan cheese. You can serve this dish on top of cooked pasta such as angel hair, spaghetti, or fettuccine and pair with garlic-herb French Bread.
To make garlic-herb butter, mix chopped fresh parsley and basil into a softened stick of salt-free butter. Add minced garlic into the butter and salt if you choose. Spread on sliced French bread and broil for approximately 4-5 minutes depending on your oven or until bread is slightly crispy and browned.